Philippines Visa Policy

Visa Types for the Philippines

Do You Need a Visa to Go to the Philippines?

According to the Philippines visa Policy, there are two main types of permits for the Philippines: non-immigrant visas and immigrant visas. In order to enter the Philippines for short-term stays, travelers from eligible countries are required to obtain a non-immigrant visa.

Depending on their country of origin, foreigners may not need a visa for visits of up to 30 days. It is also possible to extend a stay for 30 additional days for a fee. However, in order to enter the country for certain purposes like employment eligible nationals will need a specific visa.

The visa requirements for the Philippines will vary significantly depending on the purpose and the duration of one’s stay.

For instance, the necessary documents for a pre-arranged employment visa include:

  • A passport valid for at least six to twelve months
  • Two completed application forms
  • A copy of the applicant’s employment contract
  • Their curriculum vitae
  • Several passport-sized pictures, signed on front bottom
  • A medical and physical examination report by an authorized physician (including a chest X-ray, lab reports, and a certificate that the foreigner is HIV-negative)
  • The visa application fee

Those considering moving to the Philippines with their family should note that other requirements for an immigrant visa include their children’s birth certificates and a marriage certificate. These documents must be notarized.

To apply in a language other than English it is necessary to submit the paperwork with certified English translations.

Which Kind of Visa Do I need to Go to the Philippines?

The type of visa to the Philippines one needs will depend on the reason(s) of their visit, the length of stay, and their country of citizenship.

A great number of nationalities are not required to obtain a visa if they’re staying for no longer than 30 days. Citizens of Taiwan, at this time, are the only ones required to get an electronic authorization to travel to the Philippines.

The electronic travel authorization (eTA) grants its holder a short-term stay upon arrival in the Philippines.

Those who intend to move to the Philippines to study, live and work, need to apply for the respective visa type and should figure out which permit best fits their needs before starting an application.

Philippines Visa Policy

The Philippine Immigration Act prescribes fourteen different visas grouped into two main categories:

  • Section 9 visas (non-immigrant visas), for temporary visits such as those for tourism, business, transit, study or employment
  • Section 13 visas (immigrant visas), for foreign nationals who wish to become permanent residents in the Philippines

Based on the Philippines visa policy, the individual visas will serve a unique purpose. These are some of the differences between the various visas to consider when thinking about visiting or moving to the Philippines:

  • A tourist visa is only necessary for stays exceeding 30 days and depending on the traveler’s country of citizenship
  • A non-immigrant visa is granted for the purpose of pre-arranged employment, trade, transit, and education. The requirements vary
  • Non-quota immigrant visas apply to children and spouses of Philippine citizens and returning natural-born Filipinos
  • Quota immigrant visas are granted to applicants with enough financial capital who possess extraordinary professional skills or qualifications to benefit the country. A maximum of 50 quota immigrant visas are granted per year
  • The special resident retiree visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows multiple entries and indefinite stay. To participate in this visa program, foreigners must submit a deposit depending on their age and retirement pension

Find below you will find an extensive list with all of the visa types available for the Philippines according to the country’s visa policy.

Non-immigrant visas:

  • 9 (A) Pleasure, business or health
  • 9 (B) Transit
  • 9 (C) Seaman on a ship docking in a port of entry in the country
  • 9 (D) Foreign business traveler
  • 9 (F) Students
  • 9 (G) Pre-arranged employees and their dependents

Immigrant visas:

  • 13 Quota immigrants, of which no more than fifty of any one nationality may be admitted within one calendar year
  • 13 (A) The spouse or unmarried child (below 21) of a Filipino citizen
  • 13 (B) Children born during a temporary visit abroad to mothers granted permanent residence in the Philippines
  • 13 (C) Children born after the issuance of the visa of the accompanying parents
  • 13 (D) Women who lost Filipino citizenship by virtue of marriage to a foreign spokes, and her unmarried children
  • 13 (E) Permanent residents returning to the Philippines from a temporary visit abroad to resume permanent residence
  • 13 (F) The spouse and or unmarried children of a foreigner admitted to the country for permanent residence prior to the approval of the Philippine Immigration Act
  • 13 (G) Natural-born Filipinos and their dependents who have been naturalized in a foreign country and wish to permanently reside in the Philippines

Special Visas

  • SIRV This is a Special Investor’s Resident Visa. This is a non-immigrant visa granted to foreign nationals and their dependents who have shareholdings in Philippine corporations engaged in the manufacturing or services sectors, involved in projects listed under the Investment Priority Plan, or are listed on the Philippine Stock Exchange. This visa is issued by the BI in coordination with the Board of Investments
  • SVEG Special Visa for Employment Generation. This is a non-immigrant visa granted to foreign nationals and their dependents who employ at least ten Filipinos in a lawful enterprise or business venture
  • SRRV Special Resident Retiree’s Visa. This is a non-immigrant visa granted to foreign nationals and their dependents who wish to retire in the Philippines
  • SNIV Special Non-Immigrant Visa. Non-immigrant visa granted to foreign nationals and their dependents who are employed by the regional, area and/or regional operating headquarters of multinational corporation
  • SEVOBU Special Employment Visa for Offshore Banking Unit. This is a non-immigrant visa granted to foreign nationals and their dependents who are employed by the Philippine offshore units of foreign banks